PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 15th Oct 2018, 06:22
wiedehopf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by underfire
Other drivers had no problem landing. Stop making excuses for unqualified crew. Was this the same crew that failed to respond to ATC instruction to GA because the runway was still occupied
I'm not making excuses for anyone.
The fact is you will always get a percentage of fatigued and/or distracted and/or incompetent pilots.
You can reduce that percentage by providing regulations. Cutting it to zero will be next to impossible.

The by far easiest improvement to night landings on parallel taxiways is to buy a few more LEDs when lighting the taxiway and putting a red cross at the end.
When something is long and straight some people will think it's a runway. You can't change that. There is a reason for the big TAXI markings on the taxiway pavement in BOSTON.

You could argue that's the cost of doing visual approaches at night, you have to install additional lighting.
I'm not arguing something super expensive to cater for rare events. I'm not even arguing to install such red crosses everywhere.
Just saying it's not that costly and after a warning shot like this incident why not defuse that hopefully rare situation.

Do you think it would not help or introduce other dangers?