PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Chart simplification! why, why, WHY?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 03:44
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the subject of designated remote areas, weren't they depicted in the past because aircraft weren't supposed to fly in the areas unless they had those extremely reliable HF radios or some other such thing? What's the point of them these days with improved VHF coverage, GPS positioning, EPIRB's, etc? As far as I am concerned, those depictions of designated remote areas can go follow HF radios into oblivion. Waste of space on the charts.

Out of order I know, but what purpose do the FIA boundary depictions serve anyway? Aren't they just a carry-over from the days of full reporting? If there is no requirement for full reporting, then why have the boundaries marked? Pilots can call on what they determine to be the most suitable frequency. If that doesn't work, they can try another. Even under the pre-NAS arrangement, when do pilots most need to contact other pilots? I would suggest in the CTAF. BIK's Big Sky Theory works perfectly well away from the choke points.

I can understand the concern, but some of these points are just making mountains out of molehills. As Triadic suggested, the NAS education really needs to step up to the plate.

Last edited by Lodown; 15th Oct 2003 at 03:56.