PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy F-35B compared with anything
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2018, 15:47
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

I take it Mog was there way down south in GR3. Huh?

If so, need more about the ultra-low runs. We colonists gave up when it became apparent that the Pk of the Earth was higher than the Pk of the SA-2 or aimed flak if you were way below 200 or 300 feet. And then ten years later the IAF encountered the SA-6. My Israeli studs in the only group they ever sent to Hill for Viper training were all Yom Kippur vets except for the young guy ( late became astronaut and bit bullet in Columbi, but was a player for the Iraq nuke attack). They related how lethal that doppler-guided missile was, but USAF still had the 200 foot floor for 99% of the time .

So a few years later I led a two-ship at Red Flag and sure enuf, a pesky SA-6 popped up and tracked us down at 200 feet. GASP! Only way we beat it was getting small hills between us and the radar unit, plus "beaming it" as the IAF told us. The debrief film showed us being tracked, but before a launch we would fly behind a hill and it broke lock. We were soon outta range, as at 540 knots you can build distance in short order, heh heh. 'course the Thuds and 'vaarks came in at 600 knots, and then went out "fast", !
+++++++++++++++++++++==

Later, and our sister counties just 30 to 50 miles east are in dire straits after the visit from Michael. Damned storm wiper out the cottage my bride and I rented a hundred years ago when I went thru VooDoo training at Tyndall. Was a neat place about 100 yards from the shoreline.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 14th Oct 2018 at 16:58. Reason: typos