PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat T wave
Thread: Flat T wave
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 00:34
Sensible

Flies for fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About two weeks after my medical 3 years ago, I had a phone call from the doc at around 7.30 one night. He said that the CAA had concerns over my ECG print out because it showed a flat "T" wave and that I shouldn’t fly. He asked had I experienced chest pains? I hadn’t, but ran round the block just to be sure!!! Next thing is that I attend the local cardiac unit, they wire me up to televisions and computers, make me breath so rapidly that I nearly pass out. Then they put me on a running machine that gradually gets faster and faster and tips steeper and steeper until I fall backwards off the thing exhausted. About a week later I get a phone call to say all is well and that the flat “T” wave was not a problem and that I can fly again. The chest pains came later tho' when I got the bill from the cardiac unit!

What seems to have happened is that the ECG machines have got a lot more sophisticated in recent times and now flag up automatically if any sort of irregularity is detected. Additionally, ECG traces are sent to the CAA and a Cardiologist examines them. I understand that “T” wave irregularities are often detected and that a flat "T" wave is "normal" in some people although there is no heart defect as such. The last medical I had, the machimne actually printed "Flat "T" wave" on the print out but nothing was said by the CAA when the printout reached them.

Don't panic, all may be well!