PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting my PPL
Thread: Starting my PPL
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2018, 19:22
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the words of Edith Piaf...

Originally Posted by Splashdown2
Now you are making me feel old I'm 51 and only started my PPL a few months ago. I found that the first 5 lessons flew by (Pun intended) and I didn't have a grasp on all the procedures, they all seemed to be separate functions. However, I think the key is consolidation, don't space out your lessons too much and by lesson 7 look to get your own headset and get your medical. Around that time you will start circuit bashing and there is nothing worse than having to strain to hear A/G operators or other aircraft in the circuit. It is vital you have good clear comms to build that picture of other aircraft around you in the circuit, you have enough to do flying the aircraft. Once you have a medical and your instructor deems you competent you will get your first solo, no holding you back then.
I am planning on getting a good few lessons under my belt before taking the exams as you don't need the added pressure of time ticking away on the certificate, or the cost of having to resit them.

My only regret, I didn't start at 29 and have more years flying!

I started mine at 51.

I was confident that I was too old, too fat, too heavy, (those are two different problems for light aircraft pilots) and too skint.

As it happens, I was wrong about all of that.

Here I am ten years older, and flying. Still too fat, but making allowances, mostly by telling Pax that I need them to move over when I reach for controls between the seats. Still too heavy for the EV97 but I prefer bigger aircraft with more power and equipment. I seem to manage to find the money each month, probably because being a pilot is so much fun.

There's no benefit in wishing the past was different, fly now, and love it. I can't go back to being school age, or make my teenage eyesight perfect. So I have to live with what I have done instead.

Sure I would do it different, but that's not an option for any of us.