PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trans alt/level (Ireland & UK)
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2003, 22:37
genius-747

Question Trans alt/level (Ireland & UK)

Hello, a quick question about Transition altitude and level.

I know in Ireland the transition altitude is set at 5000' within the Shannon FIR, meaning that every a/c once climbing through 4999' on the regional QNH must then set 1013HPa (QNE) in the altimeter subscale.

However in the UK I know the transition altitude is different in places, but I think it is mainly 3000'... am I correct?
And I can only persume that if the trans alt is 3000ft then everything above that is expressed on R/T as flight levels...FL35, FL40 etc...

Here is where the confusion lies for me.

Take for example a short hop from Dublin (EIDW) to The Isle of Man (EGNS) in a C-172 VFR.

Because you are heading between 000 and 180 and VFR you should cruise at odd+500 ie. 35, 55, 75 etc..

If, when you tune the Dublin ATIS and you here that the Trans Level is FL60... does this mean that you cannot cruise at FL55 and indeed the next available cruising level for the little cessna is FL75 (which may be out of reach of the climb performance if max weight!!)

Am I correct in saying if the Transition level is FL60, NOTHING may cruise between 5000' and FL60 no matter what?
Like wise if the Transition level if FL70 NOTHING may cruise between 5000' and FL70 (2000')...is that correct?

Finally if say you decide to plan the trip at 3500', when in the Shannon FIR you will be using the regional QNH in the subscale, but when you then enter the Scottish FIR/London FIR and their trans alt is 3000' are you expected to immediatly change to 1013 once you cross the FIR boundry?

If so how does this effect your cruising height if maby their trans level is higher than FL35?

I know there is a lot there to deal with, but I would really appreciate any help because I am PPL holder that wants to make some trips from Ireland to the UK and this really bothers me at the moment.

Thanks people!