PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caernarfon Fly-in/bash 11th/12th October
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2003, 20:11
In Altissimus
Simplicate and Add Lightness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIREP

Welshflyer et al.,

I don't really understand why so many cried off on Saturday - we were definitely legal VFR all the way from Stapleford. Even got a touch of sunburn during lunch at Shobdon (free landings...), then across to the west coast, piccies of Harlech castle, and through that convenient valley just south-west of Caernarfon.

We had planned to stay for a couple of hours and then get a lift up to Ynys Mon to see family and friends. Unfortunately when we arrived there was no-one there except your good self. We decided to pop over to Mona - a ten minute flight which saved us 45 minutes driving (each way).

As usual we were made very welcome at 'Mona International'

Sunday, we left just before lunch to head for Sleap. We immediately ran into the worst turbulence I have ever encountered in a light aircraft. I have to say I was struggling to keep calm. I hope my poor passenger hasn't been put off by the experience. Anyway, we arrived at a blustery Sleap - where I was a bit chuffed to hear they had stopped student flights due to the crosswind. Nearly all of my initial training was with crosswind so I had hardly registered it. Passenger said it was 'interesting landing sideways'

Still a bit choppy as we left Sleap - so we climbed to 5000' or so and followed the Severn down to Malvern, then OX, BNN and home - very tired.

So, sorry the fly-in didn't work out - but if you try again, I'll do my best to attend.

p.s. I nearly fell in lust with that Long-Eze that came in after us. (Now I see it's for sale... must be sensible...)