PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - People Thinking Of Going CX
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2018, 15:42
morningcoffee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lessonlearnt
Now before I talk about why not to join CX, let me tell you my situation. So I joined as a Second Officer 2.5 years ago on COS08. Now for many of you thinking of joining CX, that is no longer available, if you join CX you will be joining under COS18. - degraded contract.

After 2.5 years of being in the "legacy" airline I am yet to do my STI (second officer technical interview) so that means that I probably will only be upgrading to JFO (junior first officer) in about 1.5 or 2 years time. Meaning I will be in a position which gains me absolutely NO experience for over 4 years +. - Not good for career progression.

Now is CX a career airline? Honestly I would so NO. It use to be. Expats that gave up lifestyle/family life in their home country back in the day received a Housing Allowance. This was a "good" package as they will leave CX with a house or 2 paid off and can afford the lifestyle/family life in HK at the moment. Space is not as much of a issue as it is for us COS08 pilots trying to cram a family in a 2 bed apartment because - CX does not give us a housing allowance. They give us an HKPA (pilot allowance) which honestly does not cover 50% of your rental if you lucky.

Lets talk about joining CX on the new COS18 - firstly you will be working much much harder than your fellow SO's for less money. Be very careful when you get given a copy of the contract to read it and think about future earnings. As life is very very expensive in HK and if you thinking of having a wife and kid, you will be in trouble. Your kids schooling allowance might look like a lot but take it from me.....its not. you will have to pay in a lot, and I mean a lot of extra cash to get your kids into the same school as your fellow SO's that joined a few months before you.... not ideal. And thats just school fees.

Working harder to get your hours up for money? This is going to lead to fatigue issues and increase rate of sickness - which your sickness days per year are also less. ( or in a way you have to earn them) - Not ideal.

Now lets talk upgrade time for SO's. I can comfortably say that if you join after 1 December 2018 you will be a SO for 4 - 5 + years. And believe me after 1 year you will loose all interest in this job. Join as a DEFO is probably even worse off, because yes you get paid more cash but you are all the way at the bottom of the seniority list. So you have to wait for everyone to upgrade to CAPT before you. You will be very frustrated that you passed by pilots probably that have 1000's of hours less experience than you and know nothing about the aviation world - goodluck. I say come here get the rating and leave.

I think if you considering coming here speak to your friends that are here, ask them for honest advice and they will tell you what they think. Ask a few friends because not everyone is unhappy here but everyone's situation is different.

Now the flying is boring as I have told you because SO's do absolutely nothing and you get treated like that in a way. Making bunks and being awake through the night is not what I envisioned that my career would be. Do I want to leave CX? mmmmm yes I will it just is a matter of time. As I said SO's hours are useless but my home country does recognise them. Probably the only country that does. I will wait for CX to pay me my bonuses and then I am out of here. This ship has no rudder and the Captain of the ship is not very liked I take it - read other posts.

The relationship between the UNION and Company is ZERO and it seems nothing is being said or done to rectify this..... Its a toxic environment that cannot be sustained. The AOA are not taking any kind of stand to better ALL pilots situation in this company. The Chairman needs to grow a pair or step down.....

We have been in Contract Compliance since I have joined here and has done nothing but disrupt my life and families and for what? Training Ban is hurting the company, but its hurting us as well - Upgrades too, and don't forget SO's upgrading means extra money. FO's that are waiting to upgrade to CAPT's are all on housing - so no PROBLEM.

Take my message the way you want. Not meaning to offend you when I say I would reconsider my options.

I WISH I read PPRUNE and listened to the advice given here............
So go where exactly instead? You’re on a P2X rating.