PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (Questions) Pathway into an aviation career
Old 12th Oct 2018, 23:59
Lapon

Received 113 Likes on 53 Posts
If you are interested in a flying career I would at least look into ATC if I had my time again.
Sure, your not strictly flying but your in the industry, well looked after (in this pilots opinion) and you can fly privately in your spare spare time.

The part of my career I enjoyed the most was the GA/learning to fly stage.
Airline flying is not a bad job, but other than sitting in a plane there is very little 'flying' involved. As one training captain appropriately said to me once 'airline flying is supposed to be boring, not fun'.

There are of course non airline flying jobs you could pursue but as life progresses you realise you need to make a living and have some work-life balance and outside the airlines those opportunities can be rare.

If you really want the airline life then as mentioned already try and pursue a cadetship. They can be controversial with various pros/cons but you at least have a good shot at a job waiting for you at the end of it - although as I said, you will miss out on what was one of the most enjoyable chapters of (at least for me) a career - GA.