PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy F-35B compared with anything
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2018, 16:11
Mogwi

Received 378 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Wingless Walrus
Gums -
thanks for sharing your stories; forever valuable. Its the kind of stuff I cant get enough of and its one of the things that gives this site its value, in my eyes: tales from experience. Your days of going 'down town' are valuable memories. Robin Olds said the 'V' had more flak than the Germans in WWII. Would we ever put an F-35 into flak filled skies?

In one of my prior comments, removed by admin, I referred to a picture of a low flying Harrier GR3 in the Falklands that was about head height. Low flying in some situations can be useful for tactical reasons, e.g. to show a presence; but I don't see a F-35 ever doing it.

PS. I have issues with my PM - apologies to anyone who has sent me a PM and received no reply.
Aye, I remember the HUD film at the debrief of the 1st May raid on Stanley showing our rad-alts flicking between 5 and 15ft on the run-in over the dunes. Just seemed safer down there somehow. The climb to 150ft to drop the clusters was a bit scary because you could then see all the other flak!

Ho-hum!