PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Meridian PT6-42 - Hot start, or not?
Old 12th Oct 2018, 15:45
rnordquest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MeridianPilot:

Just came across this so I imagine you've figured out a procedure for everything by now, but just in case...

Removing ground power: I did some of the initial powerplant installation work at Piper for the Meridian. I was also one of the first engineers to fly on the prototype other than the test pilots. I was working the ECS system. ALL the initial starts were powered by a cart and yes it's windy for the guy pulling the plug, but not a problem.

I am now doing certification for a new battery that would be perfect for this application. You can consider it to be your own personal APU. It will vastly outperform lead acid and save you a few pounds in the process. It will be one of the first batteries to pass the new regulations that came out this year 2018. -40°? No problem. Internal self powered heaters make short work of that. Helicopter testing says it should last on wing for years while producing 3 times as many starts; that operator gets 3-4 months before replacement of their current batteries. I am waiting to watch it pass the thermal containment test though. Then I'll believe it safe for use. It won't be cheap but nothing good rarely is.