PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-9
Thread: Newcastle-9
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2018, 00:12
Ph1l1pncl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew thought the airport at lunchtime today for the first time in a couple of years (I usually take the last BA flight doesn’t to London) and the airport was relatively busy for the post summer peak. Emirates, two Easyjet, two jet2, my BA, flybmi and KLM, so a fair few passengers milling around. Many had Scottish accents which is a good sign. Security was fine and no major wait for that. However, bar 11,the beer house and cafe ritazza looked like a bomb had went off. So much rubbish, left over food and drink on the tables and barely any staff, it doesn’t give a good impression. WHSmith was also looking sorry for itself. But, it was good to see Pitta and Brew open as it’s always closed late at night, and the new health food hut had a queue too. The main seating area was of course busy, but there isn’t much seating now after the refurbishment. But, one thing which was empty was Flying Hippo, I don’t know if it get some busier in the height of summer, but the restaurant takes up a huge amount of space. It either should be smaller so more regular seating can be provided, or it turned into another restaurant. Liverpool airport has a Frankie and Bennys, that would do pretty well at Newcastle, or even a Wetherspoons (I know that’s another pub which many don’t like) or a Nando’s. That would do roaring trade. It also seems silly to have another smaller duty free store at the other end of the terminal after you have been forced to snake around the new store.

The pier needs a drastic overhaul, that’s embarrassing now with the out of date adverts, the peeling paint and scuff marks. Any plans for that to be refurbished? Also, when did the new self check in and bag drop go in for a Thomas Cook, Tui check in? The free cash machine landslide beside WHSmith has now turned into a traveler mach8ne, which is frustrating as now the minimum you can withdraw isn’t £20 instead of £5/£10 when it was NatWest.

It be be interesting to see how 2019pans out, I’m guessing it will be one of contraction due to the loss of the third Thomas Cook aircraft, two Ryanair routes lost and the Easyjet Berlin flight. Eastern Airways troubles,