PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hydraulics failure- helicopters
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 21:42
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
I do so love "Cook Book " Pilots....who must lead a very sheltered existence.
Me too.....

Originally Posted by SASless
A flying Buddy and I in Tactical Training in a UH-1D had a hydraulics failure and flew the thing back to Home Plate.....the Cyclic was a bit stiff but manageable but the Collective was very...very...very easy up.....and a bugger bear to move down even with two of us grunting and straining against the seatbelts.
The two Hueys I fly have the same issue, we have played with the rigging but almost impossible to get rid of it....basically have to get the thing to a hover, (higher pitch setting), and then lean all my weight on the collective to get it down.

In training we turn the Hydraulics off in a 150' hover simulating the failure right as you pick up the long line load, and take it straight back down in a Bell product, and use the accumulators in the Astar to get forward speed and bring it back shallow approach to a hover landing----simulating our only "pad" to land on. We use former factory pilots for our outside vendor training---they do it day in day out and really do teach you to be comfortable with the machine.

SAS---as you know I had the stuck pedal years ago----had no clue what I was doing, (former company with no training), but got it down. Have since practiced it every year since and feel confident I would do better now.

For those still reading, I had a wire strike 2 weeks ago and survived, cut a 60kv 3 phase line with the blades on one and the other two went into the wire cutters---FWIW, they do work.