PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 07:18
FL235

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't argue with any of those predictions. At least they seem to have got them off the wharf. The record I remember was three wrecked Mercedes for none landed. First looked good, only a short drop so the suspension should absorb it. But neither that car or the next one could survive the impact when the crane operator dropped no.2 on top of no.1 from about 20ft. That disposed of any save the operator might have had, as no.3 slipped the slings as he swung the crane towards the outside of the ship, then braked it hard when he realised wrong direction. It sank in about 30' of soda-wara - not good.

The main wharf was a handy supply dump for SCUBA in the days before containers, pallet loads were quite likely to end up in the harbour, and it was just a little deep for the wharf bois. There was a large crate of monogrammed table ware that equipped many a donga, a collection of kids trikes & similar made good Xmas presents after a quick sand-blast and spray. I was envious of the guy who scored a crate of Scotch, but I made up for it with a Colt .45 automatic!