PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Light Aircraft Association AGM award vote
Old 11th Oct 2018, 07:00
clareprop

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Having arrived 'down-under' following my navigation to Australia (courtesy of BA), I thought I check-in on the latest. My first port of call was the LAA forum where I read a somewhat surprising note from the company secretary. Now I may be wrong and the articles of association for the LAA are very specific but statements such as, 'Board members are obliged by the rules to keep the proceedings of the Board confidential. ' raises my eyebrows. This is the LAA we're talking about, not a FTSE100 company. One of the prime duties of board members is to exercise accountability to shareholders - or in this case, paying members. That means briefings when necessary ie in extraordinary circumstances (!) and a comprehension of and responsibility for the interests of the shareholders.
Other organisations with power vested in them by the CAA such as the BPA, BHGPA and the BGA are completely open with websites where members and the public can easily see minutes of executive meetings and AGM's. The only exception is with disciplinary issues. At times like this,the best option is always to be open and transparent - especially to the people who pay for the organisation in the first place- otherwise, as can already be seen on the LAA site, questions of impartiality start being raised.