PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile phones on aircraft
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2000, 09:09
HighSpeed

Just my previous flight, I had a suspected EMF interference from a mobile phone. This is on a B777-200. The relief first officer was just getting up and switched on his mobile to deactivate the alarm. He was probably around D1L area. At around the same instance, we had EICAS caution message "CABIN ALT", "LANDING ALT", plus a few more which came on for a couple of seconds. Later, when I checked the CMC, Flight Controls & Landing Gear pages showed a auto-snapshot, they showed zeros and XXX. Not a good thing to have on a FBW airplane. I sure we can't replicate the same effect. Thats what dangerous about these EMF. If they could positively reproduce all interference, then they would be able to make protections for it. I'm sure these warnings are not simply to prevent ppl from 'over-loading' mobile phone networks. Ever heard of sparks from mobile phones triggering explosion at a petrol station? Put that on a tarmac, possibily fuming with kerosene? just a thought. If, I'm right, it's even an offence to have your mobile on when you crossover to the 'air-side'.

HS

[This message has been edited by HighSpeed (edited 17 December 2000).]