PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yakutia Superjet at Yakutsk - runway overun and ldg. gear collapse
Old 11th Oct 2018, 02:02
Plumb Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The previous poster (timestamp 10th Oct, 22:58z) has an interesting explanation of the apparent survival of the nose gear: the nosewheels were still in the air (according to that explanation) and so did not hit the surface discontinuity at all.

That suggests a sudden deceleration thereafter like in a tailhook-arrested landing! (I admit some quite different Sukhoi twinjets are indeed capable of such techniques.)
Note that the aircraft came to rest 65 m beyond the edge of the higher runway surface.

What I have read in the Aviation Herald (link is in opening post):

The aircraft landed on 23L.
The southwesterly 1150 m of that runway has been taken out of use for reconstruction so that the remaining 23L LDA is only 2248 m instead of more than 3 km.

It appears to me then that the aircraft _may_ have landed long (floated) in the approx. 5 kt tailwind (landing on the last two-thirds of 05R not available), and/or it did not or could not brake sufficiently.
As a result, it overran the end of the available landing surface (maybe now braking heavily) and some 150 m further ‘down the road’ broke through construction barriers, and then 30 m beyond those barriers hit the edge of the higher newly reconstructed pavement.
The nosewheel may have been lucky to roll exactly over a temporary earthen ramp (upslope) that enables construction vehicles to climb the edge to the new surface.
The main gears were less lucky and also may well have been braking heavily.

Airfield elevation is 325 feet. The stated QFE will be in mm Hg. And the wind is in metres per second.

Last edited by Plumb Bob; 11th Oct 2018 at 02:33. Reason: Minor improvements