PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cambridge Spies and vetting experiences
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2018, 15:54
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
I received two PV interviews, one in 1978 and one in 1981 when the first was due for renewal. I nearly screwed both up, but didn't, the first chap (and the interviewer was straight from central casting, he reminded me, heavy overcoat, Bowler and brush moustache of a humourless older version of Mr Grimsdale and for all the world had walked through a time portal from 1948.) asked me about my religious convictions to which I said I had none, he said you mean you're an agnostic, I said no I think we're called atheists. He said nothing more, let on not a jot apart from writing something down then moved on. I saved myself by showing off about having rowed against convention, the Chief Tech instructor told me what a silly fool I was then went off to see what he could do after having explained the situation I'd just landed myself in. It worked once I'd had a clarification interview with the Telegraphy School Warrant Officer. The next time was in post at Boerfink in Germany, this time a hail fellow well met type with a soft Scots accent met me in a far more informal setting, he rattled off a list of proscribed organizations which our lot didn't care much for, I was doing well repeatedly saying no. He then came to the Church of Scientology, who are they I asked and he described perfectly a small office on Goodge Street just off Tottenham Court Road, where passers by were approached by someone stood outside and invited in for a chat and a cup of Tea. I was one of the passers by who said ok, I'm intrigued. I told him so and the genial smile disappeared instantly as he started writing furiously. Knowing something was up, I asked are they not to be trusted or something, not wanting to appear too well informed. I managed to convince this chap that I hadn't been indoctrinated into anything daft and that I'd played the event for laughs. But he wasn't happy, but again I got away with it!

Best Regards,

FB

Last edited by Finningley Boy; 11th Oct 2018 at 12:13. Reason: spelling