PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile phones on aircraft
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2000, 12:06
X-QUORK

Hugmonster,

You're half right.

The handset will have the opportunity to "see" more base stations from an aircraft, but it won't ever be using more than one at a time - so your theory that it'll prevent other users getting on to the network is flawed. You're much less likely to complete a successful call because the system isn't designed to handle calls moving at 500 knots between each cell area !! Another problem that occurs up there is cell non-dominance, if there are more than 7 cells "visible" to the handset, all at similar signal strengths - the BSC(Base Station Controller) becomes confused and doesn't know which cell should handle the call - resulting in Martian voice effects and eventually a dropped call.

At lower speeds and altitude, you'd have a much better chance of completing the call.

All this, of course, is purely theory - I certainly wouldn't condone the use of mobile phones on aircraft. Even though the power output of the phones is very small (<2W) - when used in a long metal tube ( fuselage ), the random signals bouncing around might increase in power and have spurious effects on instruments.

If I ever see a fellow passenger using one in flight - I'll ask him to switch it off, failing that I'll report him to the cabin crew. If he still refuses to cease.....well in this day and age those phones are quite small - you could just about shove one where the sun don't shine.

[This message has been edited by X-QUORK (edited 15 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by X-QUORK (edited 15 December 2000).]