PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEEP BEEP BEEP.......NOTHING HAPPENS.
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2018, 11:21
nonsense

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TURIN
Could it be the BIOS Battery?
21 years ago (eg: may no longer be relevant) I had a work computer with a dead bios battery, with the result that it would lose all its bios settings if unplugged from the power.
Since IT support was sketchy at best, after this first happened, I simply redid all the required bios settings. Soon I realised that the loss of settings was caused by loss of mains power.

My employer naturally did not trust us all, so normally the floppy drives (remember them?) were disabled and the bios settings password protected, but of course my machine, with its dead bios battery which they wouldn't fix, was completely unlocked. In fact it became common knowledge around the plant that it was unlocked, to the extent that the departmental manager (soon to be site manager) would come to me to get access from the network to a floppy drive. Because even he couldn't get useful IT support!

In 1997, a PC with a dead bios battery would boot normally with default bios settings and you could get into the bios to change the settings. I doubt your problem is the bios battery.