PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go Pro or similar in Eurostar EV97
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2018, 20:19
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately dont want to be sitting for hours cutting up vids
I had almost 90 minutes of video after a 70-minute IFR proficiency flight last weekend. I edited this down to three minutes to keep people's interest. Three minutes is about the limit of most people's interest, particularly if shot with only one camera. All I did was delete lots of footage, and it still took several hours.

I've done glider aerobatic videos with as many as four cameras. Even though the flight is short and software (usually) synchs the footage it is time consuming.

please don't inflict your choice of music on your audience
I'll second that. Any music should be subtle and barely noticeable. Anything else is an annoyance or distraction.

The latest GoPro ... now USB-C
The GoPro cameras have pretty decent microphones for what they are. The sound gets muffled under the plastic housing. You can get an open frame housing that doesn't block the microphone. If you're never going underwater you can simply take a large drill bit and put a nice hole through the case over the microphone.

If you record with just the built in microphone you will have a lot of ambient noise/flight sounds, but comms will not come through well. There are cables available that will allow you to connect between the airplane's headphone jack and the camera's external microphone input. This gives you excellent intercom/radio audio. However, there's no "flight sounds" in the background. These adapters are available with either USB-C or 3.5mm connections on the camera end. I often use "flight sounds" from one camera's audio and the radio track from another. Some people like to put a lavaliere microphone in the earcup of their headset. This does a decent job of both radio and ambient if you only have one option.

You can purchase filter adapters for the GoPro housing. If you get one and buy a neutral density filter you can force the camera to use a slower shutter speed that will prevent strange looking propeller artifacts. Works quite well. I don't recommend a polarizer for this as stresses in the curved plexiglass will show up as rainbows in the video.

I have one GoPro housing I've modified to be close to the plexiglass looking outwards. I drilled a hole in it so I can plug in the audio cable and I've painted it black to minimize reflections.

If you were to google "ltcterry2006 youtube aerobatics" you would end up at one of my videos and be able to explore from there. I'm not great, but I've enjoyed making a few multi cam videos. The IFR proficiency is my newest video.

The number one thing to think about when doing video in flight is to be safe. I'm not sure if someone filming their first solo is such a good idea...