PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wittering Tutor in a field
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2018, 19:11
Dutystude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
It appears that some haven't understood my post so I'll try again!
I was a Bulldog QFI on a UAS from 1989 till 1992. At the UAS I worked at, parachutes were not routinely left in the seat for the next person; they were normally kept in the line office. The procedure was to collect a parachute from the line office and return it afterwards, or when a running change was necessary, the oncoming student was assisted to don it before climbing in. However, due to wear on the parachute outer covering we were told we should use the practice of unstrapping from the parachute before exiting the aircraft and carefully lift it out afterwards, when standing on the wing. I declined to do this for the reason I already stated. The later accident occurred after this; it seemed obvious to me that the pilot who died probably reverted to the normal procedure used iaw with that instruction, rather than the emergency procedure, which was only carried out once a month. Had he been used to leaving the chute on his back every time he left the aircraft he might not have inadvertently unlocked his QRB before unstrapping his seat harness and abandoning the aircraft in flight.
if you started flying the Bulldog in 89 then I think memory is playing tricks.

I left the Bulldog - first time round - in 88 and the procedure to vacate wearing the chute had been implemented before then.