PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F1-11 filton
Thread: F1-11 filton
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2018, 18:20
DownWest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of interest, but I was outside my house in the Algarve in the 80s when a gaggle of F-111s came over very fast and very low. This was just after they had bombed Tripoli so I wondered if it was an aborted second go. Politics avoided flying over France or Spain and they were cutting the corner of S. Portugal, who were more friendly...Must have had flight refueling at that range. Never heard anything about it in the news.
DW
Oh, friend was peddling around in the Faro club C150 and was told to get lost over the sea for a bit. He got a nice view of Concorde landing on a publicity jolly. Felt quite good being No.2 to that one.

And while I am at it, there was an amazing air show at Faro in 1980. They cleared all the junk up, like the odd bent DC3 and a couple of Super Constellations that had run arms to Biafra and Invited all. My first close look at an F 15 (guard menaced me with his gun) and a couple of F 111s doing after burner low runs right over the crowd. The Gib lot sent over two Lighnings. One went u/s, but the other did a fine display. They announced a Blackburn Buccaneer and we looked up. Nothing.. he came in over the lagoon at 100 odd feet and bent our ears a bit. Lots more with dancing helios and other stuff. Much of which one cannot do now... For good reason...