PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2018, 17:50
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
B48n, I can't really see boss Ox as a politically motivated man, young or old! I think that the Great RAF Mutiny was covered here previously and that the main grievance was that Far Eastern based servicemen's demob had to await that of their fellows in UK and Europe. As Danny said at the time, things were still very unstable in the Far East, with many "freedom" movements seeking independence following the Jap surrender rather than exchanging their "Co Prosperity" version of colonialism for those more conventional ones of the Dutch, French, or Brits. Mountbatten even co-opted Japanese troops for internal security use in some of these territories. There was also the logistical problems involved in shipping them home when priority there went to returning US troops. Did anyone think of Station Parades to improve morale?

FED, impressive indeed. The State of Singapore may be small in square miles but its hard working and well educated population have turned it into a jewel of the Far East. As with most jewels it is coveted by its less successful neighbours, as well as the increasingly belligerent super power further north. Rather like the Swiss, it has to make itself a difficult and thorny challenge to anyone with malevolent designs upon it. Seems to me they've managed that in trumps. I remember that we offered to stay around to ensure its security rather than withdraw completely. "Thanks but no thanks" was Lee Kuan Yew's response. I think he had the right idea, sadly.

Oh, the locals could whoop it up on occasion, MPN11. The Sri Lankan Air Force OM was jumping one day while we were transiting through Katunayake. Upon enquiry it was revealed that they had just been paid for the first time in three months. Very responsibly they had decided to plough much of it back into the somewhat depleted Mess Funds!