PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Light Aircraft Association AGM award vote
Old 8th Oct 2018, 15:45
runway30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9 lives
Hey, LAA members,

Someone's trying to distract again...

What's the LAA award for? "navigation..."? "Solo" is not a factor in this award, don't be distracted!

On the face of it, would the LAA members like to feel that their organization has made an award for "navigation", when the flight awarded was flown with multiple advanced navigation aids, second pilot assistance, ground planning assistance, and a chase plane? If those factors in a flight still allow that flight to be awarded a navigation award, I think the LAA should print up a lot of those awards, as there will be many deserving pilots who have accomplished long flights with less assistance, who should be similarly awarded!
Speaking as someone who used to be a member of an Awards Committee for another body, I don’t think that any of the assistance precludes the making of an award so long as all of those facts were made known to the Committee at the time. If further facts came to light subsequently then the matter should have been referred back to the Committee making the award. I don’t think that playing this out at an AGM, not only once but twice, is to the credit of anyone.