PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 7 driving me mad!
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2018, 14:45
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows 7 driving me mad!

I have had Win 7 installed on my PC and a lap top for some time. I don't believe in replacing something as long as it works for me, thus anticipating "update it" responses.
As I said, I have had no bother for a few years until about a month ago when I plugged my usual card reader in to upload my latest photos. I got one of those annoying 'alert' sounds and was asked why I don't plug the device into a USB 2 port. Well, I had plugged it into a USB 2 port! Even Win 7 thought I had the day before when I plugged the same card reader into the same port.
I have just spent some time looking at the device manager info and found a couple of anomalies such as:
Ethernet Controller..Fixed by uploading new driver.
SMBus Controller.. Apparently fixed via new driver but doesn't want to appear in Device Manager last at the moment.
Looking at the USB Root Hubs, I see the drivers are from Microsoft from 2006. I have attempted to replace these with 2013 version drivers from ASUS (motherboard manf). Device Manager insists I have the latest and greatest and refuses to have anything to do anything I offer up.
It gets worse when I plug in my shiny new Samsung phone. Not only does the PC fail to deal with the phone but the Device Manager says:
MTP USB Device; This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
Below that is "SAMSUNG USB Composite Device" and this is reported as working properly.
Any theories out there please?
Kelvin