PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Light Aircraft Association AGM award vote
Old 8th Oct 2018, 12:52
Planemike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortfinalFred
There is a further reform that needs to happen then: the LAA must be stripped of its role as a regulator of light aviation. People MUST belong to it if they operate at a certain level of aircraft ownership as the LAA has taken over from the CAA in that sector. This makes such an award have a significance it ought not to have when you are meant to be dealing with an impartial regulator. Either the LAA is a membership body that can make awards, counsel, advise and warn, or it is a regulator. It ought not to be both. It is standing into danger here. Arguably, the CAA as the Government appointed aviation regulatory body should be adequately resourced to review and license all aviation in the UK: an impartial body, open to advice and input from all - the LAA, the BGA, AOPA etc etc., but this is no longer the case. I for one do not want to belong to an organisation that perpetuates such a woeful saga, and yet I HAVE TO if I am to fly a certain category of aeroplane.A potential outcome from this endless process would be a demand that people not be shackled to a body that is both 'de jure' regulator and a selector of individuals for recognition, and that reform of the LAA itself is needed. .
I have been an LAA/PFA member for 40 plus years. I do not have a license, nor am I building an aircraft. I can however see no merit in handing over regulation of Permit aircraft to the CAA. I am certain owners of permit aircraft would be paying vastly higher fees to the CAA than they do to the LAA. Paying NO fees will NEVER be an option. The LAA is a member run organization where costs are scrutinized by the members. The CAA has no such scrutiny and requires everything "gold plated" with the attendant cost. Leave the LAA to get on with its job which by and large it does pretty well. Are you suggesting the work the BGA and the BMAA should also pass to the CAA?. I don't think you will get many takers.....

What is wrong with the LAA handing out awards? Many people have been so honoured by the PFA/LAA over the years and have taken pride in receiving those awards.

The problem is T C-T ....... Not the LAA.

PS Seems you are free to choose the expensive CAA route if you so wish. I did not realize that option was available. (see msg # 207 below)

Last edited by Planemike; 8th Oct 2018 at 21:54.