PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Danny and all - Polish airmen in the RAF
Old 7th Oct 2018, 21:49
skyviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Franek Grabowski;10238458]thegypsy
Wacław 'Nick' Niezręcki, he flew SD Halifaxes during the war, later RPAF, returned to the UK and joined RAF. At some point flew Canberras. He delivered Lancaster PA474 to BBMF, as he was found to have most recent experience on Lancasters in the RAF from a few years back, ignoring Shackleton jocks!

I don't know if this is the same Nick Niezrecki that I knew in the 1970's. I ran a garage near Bawtry & Nicky was one of my regular customers. He had retired from the RAF but refrained from talking about his wartime exploits. For a long time I only knew him as Nicky until he bought a rough Triumph TR2 that I had taken in part exchange, when I prepared his invoice receipt & he gave his name I asked him to write it as there was no chance that I would get it correct. He intended to renovate the car which I thought would be an impossible task. Some time later, probably a year or so, he called in the garage & invited me to his house (at Westwoodside) to have a look at the car. I went to see it & he had transformed it into a presentable classic. It was never going to be concours without spending mega money, but he had increased its value & desirability vastly.
I remember during his regular chats that he would drop into conversation that he had either just called in or was just going to see personnel at RAF Finningley. He seemed to be able to visit the base with ease as if he had served there or possibly Lindholme, I wasn't aware at the time that there were many Polish based there in the war but since then we often have a walk at Hatfield peat moor & pass the memorial to the Polish fliers who perished there when there aircraft crashed near Lindholme. Just for information, when I informed a friend of the memorial location (not easy to find) he has recently been to place a memorial wreath at the site.
Unfortunately I lost contact with Nicky when I moved from the garage in 1977 but as you can see I have many happy memories of a very likeable man.