PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 v Harrier
Thread: F35 v Harrier
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2018, 10:10
flighthappens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
May I just query the 10 x GR9’s for the cost of one F35 statement?

I know the denizens if this website are mostly fully signed up to the ‘quality has a quantity all of its own’ mantra. However, putting aircraft roles and capabilities aside for a moment, how does this maths work?

Any new jet off a production line today is going to cost at least $50M (conservative estimate). F35s are pricey but they’re not 1/2 a billion each!

Or was the statement trying to suggest ten airframes already in the inventory?

Remember, with F35 we are not just discussing the number of bombs and missiles it can carry. In bomb terms it would lose out to ten Harriers (although a fair cost comparison is probably closer to 2 or 3). In missile terms it would win. Unless you wanted to offer the AV8B as a better comparison.

In other capabilities it would win hands down. Even against ten.

Either way what was, on the face of it, an attempt to use cost comparison as a stick to beat the F35 with ends up full of holes in my opinion.

BV
add in the cost to recruit, train, maintain, support, upgrade etc the X times number.

additional to that look at combat effect, an F-35 is going to be able to go places and do things that a Harrier just isn’t.