PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOC or not?
Thread: AOC or not?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2018, 09:44
andrewr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torres
You are obviously trying to be logical. Whilst logical thinking is not prohibited in the CARs, it is prohibited in the hallowed CASA halls of power.
Some years ago CASA successfully prosecuted a diesel fitter who flew himself to station properties, carrying his tool box, in his privately owned Cessna and on a PPL. They contended he required a CPL and an Aerial Work AOC.
As I said in post 41, I think CASA has made some decisions based on "the vibe" rather than what CAR 206 actually says, then tried to interpret the rule to match their decision.

Prosecuting someone for carrying tools of trade is a disgrace, the rule obviously refers to goods for sale not tools of trade. If you require an AOC for tools of trade things get very difficult very quickly. A commercial pilot has tools of trade (headset, GPS, maps, charts, EFB...). If they are not allowed to carry them without an AOC it presents some practical problems. (Whereas they are not tools of trade for a private pilot so may be carried freely?) What about an OzRunways developer - do they need an AOC to carry an Ipad or laptop?

Unfortunately, the actual rule only matters if you are prepared to go to court to fight. Otherwise you have to live with whatever interpretation CASA come up with.

Originally Posted by Torres
If you feel you understand CAR206 and particularly 206 (1) (b) and (c) perhaps you could give a definition of the terms "fixed terminals" and "specific routes"?
I sense a trap. Any definition creates edge cases where you can say "but what about..." However, I will give it a go.

I would say fixed schedules, fixed terminals and specific routes refer to the case where the schedules, routes and terminals are fixed by the operator, as opposed to the case where they can be varied at the request of the passengers and/or hirer of the aircraft.