PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter has rough landing at Ski Apache
Old 7th Oct 2018, 06:38
SandBlaster214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey SAS, a bit more on the NTSB investigation process. I wouldn't call it "No interest in investigating an EMS Helicopter Accident" – that’s just not how it's all set up. First, let me qualify this response by allowing that while I'm now reaching a few years back memory-wise, my mad-cow is in slight remission today and unless they've radically changed their operational baseline, this should be kinduv close as to how NTSB investigations are (or were) assigned.

The NTSB has established five, accident/ incident investigative categories;

1) Major Investigation: The big show straight out of DC - major air-carrier and large cargo carrier accidents. This is the one with the "Go Teams" wearing their official NTSB jackets and reflective vests and logo'd polo shirts and the official dedicated press/ media relations dude or dudette and lots of cameras hanging around.

2) Major Investigation - Regional: Less serious accident or incident but with significant safety issues attached and are assigned to one of six (I believe) regional offices. Most non-fatal major airline accidents/ incidents and most commuter airline accident investigations begin at this level. May still get to see a few official NTSB jackets or a vest here and again – if the cameras show up.

3) Field investigation: Airline accident or incident with no fatalities (e.g., severe turbulence resulting in structural damage and/ or injury(ies), you know…, we hit the turbulence and I bumped my head on the ceiling). Most General Aviation accidents are classified in this category. Here, at least one regional investigator is assigned and responds to the accident site. Will most likely see an official NTSB jacket and/ or reflective vest - especially if he/ she is the sole NTSB investigator so as to designate who the HMF in charge is.

4) Limited Investigation: A limited (or "desk") investigation is carried out over the phone and/ or mail in response to a General Aviation "event". They usually don’t wear their official NTSB jackets or reflective vests at their desks but you may see an official logo’d polo shirt.

5) Delegated Investigation: These investigations are "delegated" to the FAA. Rotorcraft, homebuilts, restricted category, all light (12,500 lbs) fixed-wing aircraft unless they involved fatalities or a mid-air collision are “delegated”. The FAA is supposed to conduct the investigation and report the findings to the NTSB and the Safety Board will then determine a probable cause as necessary. In 45 years of flying, I’ve never seen an official FAA jacket or reflective vest or logo’d polo shirt, so look for a guy or gal with a wad of official looking plastic identification badges hanging from their neck.

Any of the lesser (2 - 5) categories may be elevated to a higher investigative level as necessary (all the way to an HQ led investigation) depending on need and the complexities of the accident and/ or investigation process.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and by the way… I may not be no rocket surgeon or no Norman Einstein, but I watched the video and I know what happened and I know that you know what happened and no investigation by the FAA, NTSB, KGB or CIA (no, not the FBI - the FBI couldn’t find snow in the middle of a blizzard) is gonna change that.

Carry on.