PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After 5 hours...
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2018, 12:42
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Mike, we are just about to stall.....get the power in"
Bear in mind that a stall is an aerodynamic event, not an engine power (or not) event. Therefore the approach to stall (too high an AoA) should be corrected by reducing the AoA (lowering the nose). Though powering out of a stall may be possible, doing so is fraught with other risks, including inducing a spin with torque, or distracting/falsely reassuring the pilot to the extent that the pilot forgets to lower the nose (refer to Colgan Air Dash 8 crash). Always fly the plane first, and maintain the control you intend (being stalled is not being in control). Thereafter, apply power as needed to continue your flight. Yeah, if you're stalling at 100 feet above the ground, adding power to continue the flight is going to be pretty vital too, but first and foremost, use the aerodynamic controls to maintain the plane in controlled flight!

ATC said 'follow the dash 8 ahead'. I had been watching a dash-8 on finals, off to my right, so replied 'follow the dash-8' and was about to turn in when the instructor said, there he is follow him round. Oops. Another dash-8 was ahead.
Yeah, that happens, and has happened to me. Though you are responsible (well, your instructor, at this stage) for maintaining traffic awareness, you're being unfairly lured into an unsafe situation if your attention is being directed toward an aircraft, without your also being told that a second aircraft of the same type is nearby. I was an controlled airspace in the USA decades back, and was told to watch out for two F-4 Phantom jets on formation final crossing my path. Yeah, cool! I see them, as I watched these two smoke trail makers fly down final approach. Then two more blasted right in front of me and scared the Dickens out of me. It would have been helpful had the controller told me that there were four in total!