PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily Mail Trans- Atlantic Air Race 1969
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2018, 10:58
VentureGo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transatlantic Air Race 1969

Found this in the Archives section:

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/986...ce-1969-a.html

As next year will mark the 100th Anniversary wonder if there are any plans to commemorate in a similar fashion.
I have an interest in that my father was a guest of Crosse & Blackwell and other businessmen including Jack Cohen of Tesco. Crosse & Blackwell sponsored Stirling Moss and incentivised their key buyers for a place on the LGW yo JFK leg, visiting the Empire State Building and staying at The Roosevelt Hotel. Stirling Moss left the Post Office Tower to join the BUA VC10 waiting at Gatwick with guests on board, ready for an immediate take-off to race in that category. My father told me the take-off was very fast, and the sensation of speed was apparent on harsh/rapid deceleration ordered when entering JFK airspace!

Wonder if anyone can contribute? - Be interesting to know if Stirling Moss remembers and any photos of event?

From article:
" May 1969. The Daily Mail London - New York transatlantic air race, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Alcock anFrd Brown's crossing of the Atlantic, between the RAF and RN.

The RAF used a Harrier GR1 operating out of Northolt. Flown by Squadron Leader Tom Lecky-Thompson, the flight, in XV741, involved 4 air-to-air refuellings (Victor K1s) and took 6 hr 11 min 57 sec landing at at Floyd Bennett Naval Air Station. (Floyd Bennett is located in the southern part of Brooklyn between Flatbush Avenue and Jamaica Bay).

The RN provided a F-4K from 892 Sqn out of Yeovilton. Also supported by the K1s, they set a record flight time of 4 hours 46 minutes and 57 seconds.