PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 v Harrier
Thread: F35 v Harrier
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2018, 10:03
Wingless Walrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orca
Wingless Walrus - the FA2 carried 5000lb internally and with 190 gallon tanks a total of 8000lb. I think that ‘Mogwi’s bunch’ in ‘82 used the 100 gallon tank which gave you a maximum of 6600lb.
For the chart to be right then the GR is indeed on internals only....and even then I’m not sure the figure for either is right in an operational sense.
The real world has a habit of making the differences less stark than the ODM or simulation would have you believe!
orca, thanks for your guidance, the real world view in any walk of life is what counts and its what makes this site interesting and fun! I never trust a glossy brochure and Wiki, bless its heart, can only do so much. All the 'hands on' feed back on this thread has highlighted exactly why the Harrier was so special. It was a humble aircraft but went on to achieve so much because of the ingenuity and hard work of the designers, engineers, mechanics and all those that had to work on it and keep it going, despite the less than enthusiastic support from its successive parent governments; plus the professionalism, skill and dedication of its pilots to put it to good use in all conditions. The Harrier is a shining example of taking what is available and making it work wonders. The Harrier never received the political backing and investment it deserved and that in retrospect has to be seen as a national disgrace. The one fighter to penetrate the U.S. market, but it took U.S. dollars, not GB pounds, to do it. Britain gave birth to one of the most effective and unique combat aircraft ever and then left it alone to fend for itself.

If memory serves me right, the carriers it flew from were in fact not carriers! They were 'through deck cruisers' that in effect were adapted to allow the Harrier to fly from them?

Harrier was such a unique aircraft and the pilot was greatly relied upon for its ability in the air. A challenging aircraft. The F-35 may be more capable and easier to fly, but if I had the choice of flying either I would pick flying FA2's off carriers in its hayday. Times change and the Harrier was the end of an era; the arena has changed. But that aircraft punched way above its weight.

"Never in the field of aviation, has so much been achieved, with so little."

As good as the F-35 is, I don't see that phrase ever being used for any other aircraft.