PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 v Harrier
Thread: F35 v Harrier
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2018, 19:40
Wingless Walrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The simple question of this thread has led to the sharing of very interesting experiences. It got me stooging around and I found some interesting stats here on F-35: -

F-35 LIGHTNING II PROGRAM STATUS AND FAST FACTS
October 4, 2018
https://www.f35.com/assets/uploads/d...Facts10-18.pdf

I know it wasnt the question but looking at quoted figures for combat radius shows the F-35 comfortably ahead. Although not any detail of profile or configuration, it is such a large margin that is probably indicative of the F-35 being much better; I am assuming also that the GR7 Wiki range is for internal fuel only.

Endurance will also be significantly affected by the airframe. I am guessing again that the speed for maximum endurance is subsonic (no transonic flow). From what still rattles around my brain, wing lift will be one of the largest components of drag and that will depend significantly on the aspect ratio (AR); higher AR usually means lower lift induced drag (if memory ok). I also compared wing loading and thrust/weight; figures shown below (Harrier from wiki).

I was surprised to see that the Harrier has such good figures wrt F-35B. AR and wing loading are similar or better. I was stunned to see the Harrier thrust/weight; it trounces the F-35, except the lighter F-35B in full afterburner.

I know there is more to it, but as a rough stab at comparisons the Harrier airframe looks like it could hold its own with an F-35 airframe. I am guessing the reason for the GR7 having a much smaller combat range (assuming all else equal; big 'if') is because although it probably has a more efficient engine (turbofan) the extra drag from the large frontal area offsets the advantages of the engine efficiency.

But if these two aircraft went nose to nose with each other, the respectable relative wing loading and the much higher T/W of the Harrier would likely give it the advantage. I remember reading of how the Sea Harrier FRS1 gobbled F-15's once within Sidewinder range; did the FA2 do even better with Blue Vixen/AMRAAM in the package?

Although Stealth of the F-35 gives it a huge advantage in todays arena of long range radar and weapons, but that stealth could well disappear in the future. Advances such as quantum radar could well negate the stealth of the F-35, especially if one is made small enough to fit in the nose of a Harrier.

It may sound far fetched but a senior admiral of the USN a few years ago expressed concern that we are putting all our eggs in one basket regarding stealth. His view was that at some point technology will nullify stealthy designs.

Would that lead to a new lease of life for aircraft like the Harrier? A fraction of the cost of an F-35 but highly effective aircraft in that scenario. In reality the combat scenario will not stand still. When stealth is finally negated, probably there will be no manned combat aircraft and laser weapons will be used to shoot down aircraft.

But these stats show just what an effective aircraft the Harrier was. I doubt we have got as much value for money in any other fighter except the Spitfire and Hurricane.