PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My fault, but did I take the right way out?
Old 4th Oct 2018, 07:53
Hawker 800

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FL235
Some few years ago I got into a situation that earned me a stern ( and warranted ) reprimand, but have always wondered if someone else would have taken the same evasive action. Returning late one Friday afternoon to a field the club shared with a helicopter school, I called inbound to the private tower operated by the helicopter firm. No answer - (thinks)- "Friday afternoon, nearly 5 pm, they've gone home".

When the school was operating the field was shared with the N-S strip being the divider. I was coming in from the S expecting no traffic, but aware that sone club members might have left work early & be getting ready to fly. I therefor moved over the line to the E, helicopter, side of the dividing line, to have a good view of possible actvity on the strip. I was losing height and moving fairly quickly in a low-wing a/c, aiming for a tight and possibly a slightly low circuit. We all like to be noticed by other club members.

I was startled to see a helicopter climbing out of the ground background, straight ahead, climbing just below my level, as there had been no radio activity.

A quick decision, don't want to lose sight of him, I'm flying a low-wing, stick forward and go under him. Too close for comfort, and obviously a nasty shock for the helicopter student and instructor. The radio now burst into life with dire threats, and to cut the story short I got an official reprimand.

It was my fault for being in their airspace, but was my decision to go for a close but controlled pass under him, so I could keep him in sight, the right one? Opinions sought.
Id say you were totally in the wrong. If I was the CFI of that operation, I would probably ask for retraining before you could fly again. Under the helicopter is a dodgy option indeed...