PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After 5 hours...
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2018, 04:35
double_barrel

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flyinkiwi
You've heard a lot of people talk about things taking time. One of the more important things to learn which you can only learn through repetition is how to divide your attention efficiently so that you can monitor radio calls, operate the aircrafts systems, fly it where you want it, listen to your instructor, and relax (at this stage that takes conscious effort), all at the same time. Watching your instructor fly shows you it can be done, but you need to learn the "how" yourself.
Yep, the difference is striking. There I am constantly fiddling with stuff and ending-up climbing or descending when I should be level or letting the speed drift off. He seems to do nothing - the plane just does exactly what he wants! I clearly still need to free-up some brain resources.

My last ****-up was failing to lower the flaps when I thought I had. I flipped the selector up to raise the flaps on the touch and go and failed to put it back to the centre position. So next circuit I reached out and put it down for a few seconds, and glanced at the indicator, but my brain was already onto the next thing so I failed to take-in the fact that I had done nothing with the flaps except move the selector from raise to off and back again! It's very strange, thinking back over it, my fingers felt the selector was wrong, my eyes saw the indicator had not moved, but I did not absorb and use the information! Ah well, I am getting more comfortable and getting more thinking time, but I sometimes think I am learning more about my strange brain than I am about flying!