PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone delays Westpac helicopter rescue
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 19:31
casper64

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by aa777888
Not so different from a bird strike. Actually, I'd be much happier hitting a 1 lb DJI drone made out of plastic vs. a nice, solid, 8 lb Canada goose. Actually, I'd be much happier hitting nothing, but you know what I mean!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPzrnbr7snE
And there, you are completely wrong! An 8lb Canada goose is big and heavy, but made up of feathers, blood, fat, intestines and a little bit of bones…Yes, it will make a huge mess, might end up on your lap, hell might even knock you out for a little bit but that's about it, unless you are very, very unlucky.
The battery and engines of a DJI (or any other drone) is made of very high dense material that won't bulge or splatter when it hits the first layer of protection (your windscreen)… but will penetrate right trough and hit you, let's say, in the face. Imagine that happening with, say, 100kts.... the battery will probably end up somewhere in the back end of your skull…….

If it hits a critical part of the helicopter… same story. A bird will be sliced to pieces and do some Damage. A part like the battery will most likely destroy the part of the helicopter it hits.

The video damage you show is of a fixed wing, that was most likely travelling about twice or three times the speed of a helicopter if not more...

Regards,
Raymond