PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boat in HK good idea and where?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 17:02
Slasher1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGB
Someone suggested the option of finding a spot of land, close enough to sea - where you could drag up your (house)boat. Then convert it so plumbing and such would suit a land life.

No more barnacles. Safe in a typhoon. Lots of room to live on. No sampan needed. Your own village house, in from the sea.

I don't know if it would be possible (or legal), but I like the thinking outside of the box. In this case, thinking outside of the water.
My thinking outside of the box would be (if you didn't have much equity in the boat and could get your assets out of HKG) this might be a good time to walk away from the boat, walk away from the job, stick the bank with the boat (and debt), leave HK, and start a new and happy life. Could be a blessing in disguise.

I'd say it worked during the housing crisis (because it kinda did for some), but unfortunately it didn't stick it to the right people (the banks who lent poorly got bailed out, the wall street scammers skated, and the taxpayers and honest investors got stuck with the bill; although at least it's a bill that'll never be paid).