PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RCAF Wellington Pilot, 1942 Egypt - how to find details?
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 04:40
Skyray

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
RCAF Wellington Pilot, 1942 Egypt - how to find details?

My great uncle, Frank Morgan, was a Pilot Officer for the RCAF in WW2. I'm trying to nail down the models of planes he flew, and which squadron he was in.

He died piloting a Vickers Wellington returning from a raid on Tobruk on July 13, 1942. Their fuel tanks were shot up during the (successful) raid, and the plane was blown off course by adverse weather. He ordered the crew to bail out, but insisted on staying with the plane to try to bring it down safely. The plane crashed north of Cairo, and he did the next day in #13 Scottish General Hospital from injuries sustained in the crash.

He'd been shot down once before. On October 20, 1941, his memoirs say the crew he was on had just dropped a 4,000-pound bomb on Bremen, Germany when they were attacked by night fighters. They had to ditch in the North Sea and spent the night in a dinghy before being rescued. I assume this was a Wellington as well, but the book by my cousin doesn't call that out.

There's a photo of him in the book standing in front of a Fleet Finch, which is a plane I hadn't heard of before.

Anyway, given the dates and targets, and the fact that he was flying for the RCAF and definitely in a Wellington on his final flight, anyone know how I can determine which squadron he was flying for? I'd like to find more info about his service. Right now I just have a couple of pages in my Canadian cousin's family memoir.

Any pointers on how to find more details on this would be appreciated! Online resources, forums, etc. Thanks!