PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial pilots eating in flight
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 10:34
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The good old days of two squares from platforms and two packs of twenty per pilot per rotation, the best breakfast was the Fulmar and the best food all round was from the Asian galley on the DB102.

And despite the warnings on the packets smoking saves lives:

AS332 Aberdeen to the Basin , 3000' outbound on top of the usual January low stratus level, I was in the P2 seat doing the paperwork, P1 passed me a cigarette as I was about to start the power assurance. Sliding window open, the smoke and ash went nicely out and no-one was much the wiser. Cigarette ended roughly at the same time as the PA. I flicked the stub out of the window and saw what looked like a HISL, but could'nt see an aircraft in the glare, I looked in blinked and looked out again. A fisheries protection Cessna was about to come through my window, I yelled "PULL!" and P1 yanked the cyclic back, we vaulted over the Cessna and missed him by not a lot. If I hadn't had that cigarette and thrown the stub out at that moment I'm pretty sure we would have hit, ergo, smoking saves lives (well thats one of my many excuses for never giving it up)

I also loved the chemical analysis of a liquid that had buggered the SAS on an S61, The full spectro of tea was quite something to see.

SND