PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO dies getting last aircraft out of Sulawesi
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 08:59
rideforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is something unhealthy in the hero-making of this young man that reminds me of the Thailand Cave Rescue a few months back where a man died and was proclaimed a hero and plastered over the news. Well in that case the man ran out of air whilst changing gas tanks, a basic error that does not become an operative on an advanced rescue operation.
If we are to learn anything we must learn how to be intelligent and make the correct decision in the face of danger.
In this case, why did the Captain continue with the takeoff during an earthquake ?
Isn't this extra-procedular, and totally the Captain's responsibility ?
If all his colleagues left doesn't that indicate the end of their responsibility ?
What good does it do to watch an aircraft taking off whilst the building falls apart ?
Perhaps he could have said to himself : I have given him clearance, the captain knows it's an earthquake, okay good luck to them, now I will leave. Isn't that the best course ?
The newspapers have a motto, "if it bleeds then it leads", that is how they choose the first article on the paper, and the second article is any kind of heroic deed.
And the airlines make their Public Relations strategy out of any event.
In all this, does anyone really think about the deceased ?
Or about learning the real lesson and becoming competent in real situations, rather than in a movie where jumping from windows works out ?