PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35B down.
Thread: F-35B down.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 07:50
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safetypee,

Thank you for adding that important information - I apologise unreservedly for not getting that right the first time. The Bedford team's contribution to the F-35 via the VAAC was simply huge, and I dropped a serious cog there. I offer this apology to anyone else from the RAE team.

As you so rightly say, the work carried out there was vital to the later success of the F-35B STOVL flight controls design and development effort. Sometimes the work of 'boffins' such as the RAE team doesn't get the appreciation and respect it deserves. There's also a regrettably 'Brit' tendency to denigrate our own country's aircraft industry and government research efforts. No one should be above criticism, but some of the rocks thrown at BAES and others are (just in my view) undeserved. I had the privilege to work with a really talented bunch of (mostly fairly young) engineers and aircrew who were handed some of the hardest challenges on the F-35 programme, and met them all, earning the respect of many hard nosed Americans. Might be nice if we gave them a nod every now and then.

Once again, my apologies for failing to do that this time.

Best regards as ever to all those who fought for VAAC, kept it going, and made it deliver,

Engines

Last edited by Engines; 2nd Oct 2018 at 08:59.