PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35B down.
Thread: F-35B down.
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2018, 15:47
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timelord
Engines, did we sign up for 138 JCBA / JSF before or after the decision to build the QE class carriers? Ie, was it ever intended for them to operate from Invincible class ships?

( Unusually for prune this is a genuine question, I am not trying to make any points!)
Timelord,

Happy to help as best I can. I think that the 138 figure for FCBA was downstream of the decision to go for the carriers. My recollection is that it appeared at the first iteration of the list of the various partners' planned production totals in around 2002 ish. Note that these were never firm orders. The UK was the first customer to significantly alter their buy, slipping their delivery timelines well to the right, to the current dates.

The original NST6464 called for an aircraft that could be operated from the Invincible class ships. By the time the contracts was awarded to LM in October 2001, the JORD (Joint Operational Requirements Document) showed that the UK's ship/aircraft integration requirements had been pared right back to a series of what were essentially place holders. These included:
  • The aircraft had to be able to launch off an 'Invincible Class' ramp at a specific weight, configuration and take off run
  • The aircraft had to be 'dimensionally compatible with Invincible class flight deck and hangar layouts'. This meant that an F-35B could be physically parked on the flight or hangar deck. Notably, it didn't have to fit down the lifts
Over the next two to three years, the UK was working hard to find the best way to marry an as yet to be designed F-35B with an as yet to be designed CVF (which became the QE class). This was not at all straightforward. Among the first items that the UK added to their contract were studies into an optimised new ramp design for the CVF and the initial studies into Short Rolling Vertical Landings.

Sadly, most of this work was thrown into confusion in 2010 when the UK changed tack to the F-35C. Even more confusion ensued when they changed back in 2012. It has to be said that the UK's credibility within the US as an informed and reliable customer took a bit of a knock over that period. I think it says a lot for the strength of the relationship at the working level that we managed to rebuild our reputation on the programme.

Best Regards as ever to all those who have done the hard yards on the hard days,

Engines