PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2018, 11:43
stewyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharklet_321
According to CAA O&D data lots of pax (almost 50%) originating from the entire SOU catchment leak to LGW where easyJet has a significant presence. I estimate that around 3-5% of all LGW pax originate in the SOU catchment area of which a considerable amount are regular travellers. From this data alone I would assume easyJet wouldn't want to dilute their LGW operation by setting something up at SOU that could cannibalise their pax

SOU hardly sees any leakage to BRS airport hence why the two bases at LGW and BRS compliment each other. If easyJet sets up a LHR operation as they have stated before when the 3rd runway becomes live then SOU becomes even more irrelevant

For clues as to easyJet's strategy or behaviour just look at the fact that they don't operate from BHX for this very reason (leakage to LTN, BRS etc)

Jet2 however would be a safer step for SOU - in my opinion a much more suitable market segment that SOU is *not currently tapping* and Jet2 have no operation at LGW. Plus it would be very complimentary to SOU's Flybe market. An easyJet operation may not be so complimentary (BRS ops have considerable UK domestic from there EDI, GLA, NCL, BFS, INV, ABZ)
Same could have been said about a Southend EZY base with both LTN and Stansted on the doorstep but this didn’t stop them, now add Ryanair also to the mix and you have to say north of London is well diluted. It comes down to available runway capacity in the south east which we all know is insufficient and will be for another 10 years plus until runway 3 at LHR is built to ease this problem. SOU must take advantage in the short term and this is probably why the airport are sniffing around the LCC’s currently with EZY being in pole position although do agree that Jet2 could be a good outside bet!