PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy's first A319
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2003, 17:49
fiftyfour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I imagine that the two guys who did this fly-by/go-around were very experienced, and not just a couple of training captains who had recently done ' the conversion course.' Most airbus pilots I know don't mess around with the aircraft, as they find out something completely new, and often very surprising, about the way it works on one or two occassions each month. Quite a humbling experience.
I have been flying the airbus for a few years now, and definately would not attempt anything outside a normal routine A to B scenario. Other aircraft that I've flown in the past - yes , but not with an Airbus.
As many in Easyjet are about to find out, it is an excellent passenger aircraft with a fantastic level of safety - but it is not nearly as conventional as the manufacturer would lead you to believe on a two month course at Toulouse. There are lots of little 'surprises' - like the lack of automatic full power prior to a stalling angle of attack, when in landing config and the aircraft is below 100ft as mentioned by Norman Stanly Fletcher. Another little 'got-ya' is attempting to do a go-around before telling the aircraft that it is in the 'approach phase' of the flight - now that is virtually guaranteed to bust you past the flap limiting speed.