PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35B down.
Thread: F-35B down.
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2018, 18:33
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
FOD Plod,

My understanding is that any F-35As wouldn't be for the aircraft carriers. I'm sure that it would be folly to buy 138 F-35Bs just so that both carriers can set sail with a deck crowded with F-35Bs. For two carriers, 48 I'm sure would be enough to ensure that as likely only one would be on task at any time, a full compliment was on board. My understanding is the A version has a better performance can carry more fuel and ordnance.

Harley Quinn,

I think you're reading more into my comments than is actually there, I simply mentioned the lift fan as I do believe it is an unnecessary loss of space and taxation on everything it can't carry otherwise. It also means more fuel has to be used for the main engine to drive the shaft. I didn't even hint that the lift fan had anything to do with the crash. My simple innocuous question was is there an under lying problem with the F-35B as it appears to be (not is) troubled more than the other two variants. I certainly never even alluded to the cause or suggested there was only a single cause. But if you want a personal opinion on the matter, then yes, I think the F-35B is unduly limited in performance and payload, not because I possess any erudite knowledge but because it stands to reason, for all the obvious reasons, lift fan engine, extra drain on fuel, increased premium on space, additional weight penalty in conventional flight, in which mode it will spend very much most of its time aloft.

Engines

I take your points, many thanks.

FB

Last edited by Finningley Boy; 30th Sep 2018 at 18:38. Reason: ADD MORE