PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Escape routes, oxygen requirements
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2018, 08:41
SG73x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape routes, oxygen requirements

Hi,

I am interested in understanding the use of escape routes while flying over extensive areas of high terrain (e.g the Hymalyas).
Searching this forum, I read that in case of loss of pressurisation, you would have to descend to the MEA if it's higher than 10'000ft... as an example let's say it's at 18'000ft.
You would then need an escape route that will allow you to descend to 14'000ft prior to exhaustion of the oxygen supply system, and then further descend to 10'000ft within 30min after (please correct me if I am wrong).

1. Why 14'000ft initially ? Does it have to do with EASA supplemental oxygen requirements ?

2. In case of an engine failure, or a fire onboard, would you use the same escape route or are there other "types" ? I am assuming that engine out is less critical in terms of time and altitude.

3. What about cargo flights ? Are supernumaries considered as pax with the same type of oxygen system ?

4. Typically, how many escape routes would be planned if flying near the Hymalyas (routes like LHR-HGK)

5. Are escape routes published anywhere, or are they developed by airlines ?

Thank you for your answers.