PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of training aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2018, 14:20
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Nurse2Pilot
Thanks for the replies guys! I take this as a ringing endorsement for the PA-38? The instructor wasn't pulling my leg when he said the PA-38 is better for training?

@Genghis - isn't the view out of a C152 similar to the view out of a C172? The designs are so close. I can see how the PA-38 has better visibility for the pilot compared to a PA-28.

I've read about taildraggers a few times, why is it better? I take it taxiing a taildragger is better and landing is different (??) compared to a tricycle-gear aircraft, but what does that have to do with flying?
I agree with jonkster's comments about taildraggers. There are a few UK schools who will do ab-initio on a tailwheel aeroplane - White Waltham in a Super Cub, just to name one I know. You might be better buying a share in a tailwheel syndicate with a tame instructor / friendly school who'll instruct on it?

Regarding the 152 .v. 172; both are "okay" insofar as they have a window in the back (sadly missing in PA28s for example) that is a very good feature, but particularly if you're a shorta**e like me, the instrument panel is so high the view forwards is lousy - and being a slightly bigger cabin - being a little further from the windows also reduces the view a bit.

G