PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2003, 13:41
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apples and apples

Keg

I (and AOPA) see no safety problems with NAS 2b.

We reserve our position on all NAS and probably won't go the way CivilAir want, i.e. we may push for less E and more G below 8500.

However, some here whose opinios I respect, have argued (but not proven) a safety case. The main concern stems from E into C and E above 'busy' CTAFs under 2b.

While we are not convinced of the safety case we are interested in any systemic approach that makes airspace safer. Such a system is ADSB.

Now the Govt want NAS and no-one (especially a union) will change their minds. So, while we (AOPA) do not oppose NAS we are prepared to hang our support on ADSB, but only the Govt funded installation option.

In doing so I would have thought that the more rational on the other side of the argument would see that as a useful compromise rather than a reason to yet again criticise. A combined ADSB 'final-NAS' is both economically and technically feasable, it would make GA safer, it would make RPT safer, it would make CTAFs safer (although most midairs occur at GAAPs), it would provide more and better info in airways and probably save airlines a lot of money as it would reduce delays and allow better computerised arrivals planning.

AK